Ginkgo Nuts and Barley Dessert


A dessert that I grew up with, till I learnt to cook it. I remember when I very young, I always helped my mother to shell the ginkgo nuts, while she prepared the rest of the ingredients, and I always looking forward to that bowl of sweet and smooth dessert to be ready. 


Now, I am a mother and a wife who often cook this dish to my family, the only difference is, my son not a fan of barley. So he would just give me a little bit of credit, and have a few sips! At the same time, this is suppose to be a 滋润养颜 dessert, that will keep the ladies look good and young. So let's have more of it! There is no particular recipe for making this dessert. I just do it with moderation of every ingredients in it. But something must not miss in this dessert, has to be the pandan leaves.

Ingredients:

Handful of barley
50g of ginkgo but, shell and halved, remove the bit in the center
40g Bean stick (腐竹)washed and soak
6 pieces of pandan leaves
1-2 egg, lightly beaten
Rock sugar to taste

Method:

1. In a soup pot, fill about 1 liter of water together with ginkgo nuts and barley, bring to boil. Boil for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, add in bean stick. Cook till bean stick turn smooth, then add in eggs, pandan leaves. Boil for about 5 minutes, add in rock sugar, cook for another 5 more minutes or till all sugar dissolved.

2.Serve as hot dessert or can be eaten chilled.

I am submitting to to Aspiring Bakers#20: Asian dessert buffet (June 2012) hosted by Moon of Playground




Comments

Hi visiting through Aspiring Bakers. I love this kind of simple tong sui. Always so soothing and reminds me of childhood days.
Cosy Bake said…
Hi Mich,

I love this tong Sui the most. I won't stop at just one serving most of the time! Thanks for visiting!

Popular Posts