Coffee Roll Cake






Yes! I finally get to make this long waited Coffee Roll Cake. I have couple of roll cake recipe books, the pictures in the books look so good that I always tempted to try them out one by one. But for some reasons, I didn't really get to. It's either the weather have been so hot, or I didn't have the mood. Of course, I want to have a day when my hubby around and enjoy this roll cake with his cup of coffee.



The cake texture is really soft and moist. It's so easy to roll it up nicely and the shape stays very well. I used decaf instant coffee since I don't have any coffee paste that the recipe call for. On top of that I added coffee essence to enhance the coffee flavor. Indeed it turned out so well. I am looking forward to mu hubby's return and shall have this roll cake for our tea break. Hope we'll have a cool weather tomorrow!
.


Ingredients:
Egg 3
Yolk 1
Castor Sugar 80g
Milk 20ml
Melted butter 20g
Coffee Paste 1tbsp ( I used Instant Coffee powder mix with little water)
Coffee Liquor 1tsp ( I used coffee essence)

.
Cake Deco:

Caster Sugar 20g
Instant Coffee 1tsp
.


Method:

1.Mix milk and melted butter in a bowl. Set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs over hot water for one minute. Add in sugar and beat till sugar dissolved.

2. Move the bowl away from hot water and beat egg to ribbon stage.

3.Sift flour to egg batter and fold in gently till well blended.

4.Take a small portion of the cake batter to mix with milk and butter mixture. Then pour the mixture back to the cake batter and fold in gentle till well blended, followed by coffee paste and coffee liquor.

5.Pour the mixture to a 29cm x 29cm Swiss roll tin lined with parchment. Bake at 210' c preheat oven for 12 minutes.

6.When the cake is baked, bring out form cake tin and let it cool on wire rack till it's completely cool before spreading on cream.

7. Whip up dairy cream with sugar to soft peak and mix in coffee essence to 1/3 of the cream and continue to whip till firm. Decorate the cake as you wish!

Comments

tracieMoo said…
what a perfect swiss roll!
love coffee flavour. perfect with a cup of tea :)
Cosy Bake said…
tracieMoo,

Thanks! This will be a roll cake I will oftenly make. Cheers!
Anonymous said…
hi
may i knw wht kind of flour is Nisshin Voilet Flour call in this recipe?
tq.
WendyinKK said…
Looks really well made.
Love it w/o cracks.
Cosy Bake said…
Anony,

The Nisshin Violet flour is a kind of very refined flour for making light and soft cakes like japanese shortcake sponge. I have the picture on my blog. you can find it from the label under Ingredients. Hope this help. Happy baking!
Cosy Bake said…
Hi Wendy,

Thanks for dropping me comments. Ya, many times when try to roll up the cake, the sponge more often than not would crack... but this recipe really yield very soft and moist sponge that won't crack during rolling up.
Hi
Your roll cake looks perfect. You rolled it up after step 7? Do you need to pre-roll it before spreading the whipped cream?

In Japan, there is a craze about these roll cakes now. There was an article in the Straits Times on this recently.

Thanks for sharing.
Cosy Bake said…
HI Irene.
Yes, I rolled it up after step 7. I did not pre-roll the sponge. This cake's texture is so perfect that it won't crack during rolling up. A good recipe to keep! I love roll cakes pretty much too!
Ya..it really looks good.
What sort of whipped cream do you often use (other than the Japanese whipped cream you used)? Is this recipe from Jap recipe book? I also likes to refer to Jap recipe book as the steps are very detailed. Could you share the ISBN code of the book?

Thanks
Cosy Bake said…
Irene,

Usually I won't make cream filled cakes if I don't have the Japanese whip cream in hands. However, if really have to make one, I'd use the Australian pure cream- Bulla. Or else he one that is selling in Meidi-ya also do. It's actually another Japanese cream but it's mixture of dairy cream and plant fat.
the book's ISBN: 9784579208136

Something about this book, it's not as detail as the usual Japanese recipe books. YOu may take a look thou. :)
Cosy Bake said…
Hi Irene,

Think I have given you the wrong ISBN: It'd be 9784579208135.

sorry abt it!

Popular Posts