Japanese Strawberry Short Cake




The two little figures are the cherry blossom fairies.






That's the best I could do!




With all the ingredients I bought from Japan, I guess it's best I make a Japanese strawberry short cake(s) while the ingredients are still fresh. I made two cakes this time. One is the normal strawberry short cake, and the other one with a slight touch of Cherry Blossom. How I wish our country could also have the Cherry Blossom celebration like Japan. I didn't do a good job of mixing the pink into the fresh cream. I got it too pinkie instead of the pastel pink. But I couldn't do much as I ran out of the fresh cream ,after I used up most to ice the cake.
.
However, I have no complain of the result of the cake. The sponge is soft and light. After I cut a piece and put on a plate, I could see the Jello effect when I give it a light shake. That's the most satisfying thing you could get after all the hard work. Many people are quite intimidated by making a sponge without any rising agent to help with the sponge texture. But it's not as 'Scary ' as what I used to think. I have tired many different recipes in the past. But I couldn't achieve the best result, till I came across the recipe from Nisshin and I adjusted the ingredients which is what I finally got it right!
.
Ingredients for cake sponge:
.
Large Eggs 3
Sugar 80g
Nisshin Violet Flour 90g
Melted Unsalted Butter 30g
Vanilla Essence 1/2 tsp
.
Icing:
Sugar 30g } Whip together till firm.
Vanilla essence 1/2 tsp }
Enough strawberry for both sandwich and topping.
.
Method:
.
1. Mix eggs and sugar over hot water till the sugar are melted.
2. Move away from hot water and with a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the egg in high speed till ribbon stage. Bring the speed to low and continue for another 1 minute to stabilize the air bubbles.
3. Fold in sifted flour very gently till all well blended. Mix a small portion of the batter to the melted butter and give it a good mix, then pour the buttered batter back to the egg batter and mix well.
4. Pour batter into a lined 7 inch round tin and bake in pre heat oven at 170'c for 28 minutes.
5. When the cake is baked, unmould the cake and let it cool an wire rack.
6. Decorate the cake as you wish after the cake is completely cooled.

Comments

Allie said…
Your strawberry cake looks so lovely!
Cosy Bake said…
Dear Allie,

Thanks. But still think the pink on the cake is too ' Cina ' though. ha ha.....
Great looking cake, but I see the cream is melting.
Cosy Bake said…
Dear BH,

Yes,the weather has been so hot that I had problem decorating the cake..... I've tried my best. :(
Don't worry about it, you did a great job!
Anonymous said…
hi hi , i tried tis cake yesterday for my mum ...ended up with alot alot of cream as i was creaming the cake i got it thicker n thicker cos it melt so fast but still good .hahaha
Cosy Bake said…
Hi Anonymous,

NIce to know you managed to make it well!! Great job! Yes, if the weather is hot, the icing will melt really easily. Are you using the Japanese cream too??
Anonymous said…
What's nisshin violet flour? Will normal cake flour work? It looks so yummy, want to try making it tomorrow but not sure I'll be able to get the ingredients you mentioned in the supermarket near my place. Or where are these Japanese ingredients available in Singapore?
Cosy Bake said…
Hi,
Nisshin violet flour is a kind of very refined flour that makes very soft and light sponge. unfortunately our local cake flour can't give the same result. you can get this flour from isetan scots and meidi-ya supermarket.
Cosy Bake said…
oh yes, at NTUC Finest may have it too.
Anonymous said…
Tried making the icing but it became like tofu n a lot of liquid came out. Is it over mixed? Trying again without sugar.
Cosy Bake said…
yes, you have over beat the cream...

Popular Posts